Review: Hero at the Fall - Alwyn Hamilton

36541404
Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton
Series: Rebel of the Sands #3
My rating: {★★★★★}

YA Fantasy
Published January 30th 2018 by Faber & Faber

Source: Purchased
When gunslinging Amani Al'Hiza escaped her dead-end town, she never imagined she'd join a revolution, let alone lead one. But after the bloodthirsty Sultan of Miraji imprisoned the Rebel Prince Ahmed in the mythical city of Eremot, she doesn't have a choice. Armed with only her revolver, her wits, and her untameable Demdji powers, Amani must rally her skeleton crew of rebels for a rescue mission through the unforgiving desert to a place that, according to maps, doesn't exist. As she watches those she loves most lay their lives on the line against ghouls and enemy soldiers, Amani questions whether she can be the leader they need or if she is leading them all to their deaths.
Three words.
Wow. Wow. Wow.

And maybe two more words.
Absolutely Epic.

I could almost just leave this review at that... But not only am I meant to be a professional book reviewer, I just loved this series so much I feel the need to fangirl and gush and just throw this at everyone who knows how to read words. So please bear with me while I carry on and intermittently screech that you should 'Go and read this marvellous series!'
Either I died or we all did.
I read this book in February and I can pretty safely say that it's going to be one of my best books of 2018. It's a pretty bold statement so early in the year, but my experience with this one was so amazing that I'm prepared to stand by it. My notes while reading the book have the word 'epic' strewn all over them. I think I mentioned it at least every third sentence, and I try to take notes throughout the entire time I'm reading so that I can see my thoughts and reactions as the book progresses. Also mentioned in the notes a lot was 'crazy' and 'intense', so if you're looking for a rollercoaster of a read, this is a must.

Go and read this marvellous series!

This entire series has been extremely good for me and I have followed the characters and their development like an over-protective aunt; as though they are as close to me as my own children and with great pride and plenty of boasting.
Oh, don’t tell me now is when you decide to turn coward on me. Your guts are one of the things that I actually like about you.
Alwyn Hamilton put me through ALL of the feels. My heart was broken repeatedly, I laughed, I cried, I laughed again. I breathed sighs of relief and I screamed and cursed. Not a single punch was pulled and I just kept going back for more because I loved it: It was incredible. READ THIS SERIES!

This book managed to combine all of the best qualities of Rebel and Traitor. There was the gunslinging sassy-ness combined with the intricate political plot and there was ALL of the action.

The world and the setting of the Miraji desert is just so richly built and the writing is completely immersive. There are a lot of characters to get to know that have all been lovingly crafted with believable and individual traits and it's so easy to fall in love with each and every one.

I'm also completely in love with the amazing female friendship between Amani and Shazad. They may not share blood, but they are sisters in the best sense of the word.

It's so hard to review subsequent books in a a series without revealing any spoilers, but I do have to mention that epilogue: For me it was utter perfection and a perfect ending to a wonderful series.

I can't say much more but if you love books that are full of multi-faceted and relateable characters (even the bad guys!); diversity of race, culture and religion; humour; bravery and adventure; action and intrigue - look no further.
But even if the desert forgot a thousand and one of our stories, it was enough that they would tell of us at all. That long after our deaths, men and women sitting around a fire would hear that once, long ago, before we were all just stories, we lived.

Now seriously, go and read this marvellous series!

Traitor To The Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2)

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »